History of Glen Garioch
Glen Garioch Distillery’s official founding date and the one imprinted on every bottle.
After changing hands several times over the years the Distillery was finally returned to the Manson family in 1837.
John Manson Jnr’s second child, Patrick, is born. Widely recognised as ‘The Father of Tropical Medicine’, Patrick earned the nickname Mosquito Manson.
After almost half a century at the helm, the Mansons sold the distillery to JG Thomson & Co of Leith.
A long-term investor in the distillery, whisky baron William Sanderson purchases a 50% interest in Glen Garioch.
William Sanderson is succeeded on his death by his son, William Mark Sanderson.
After 35 years of half ownership, William Mark Sanderson and his fellow investors take 100% ownership of the distillery.
Scottish Malt Distillers, part of DCL (the Distillers Company Ltd), purchases Glen Garioch. Two years later, production was suspended during the Second World War.
Stanley P Morrison purchases the distillery for £150,000.
Joe Hughes, distillery manager under Stanley Morrison, discovers a new water source – the Silent Spring of Coutens Farm.
Planning permission is granted for the innovative Glen Garioch Greenhouse Project.
Glen Garioch temporarily closes but not before producing its Vintage 1995, the last Glen Garioch to be made with smoked barley
Glen Garioch re-opens. Now unpeated, the whisky enjoys a new lease of life.
Glen Garioch is given a new look that befits a small 200-year-old Highland distillery, passionate about crafting its exceptional Single Malts.